Monday, June 23, 2008

Divine Basil-Walnut Chicken

After my first bite of this simple-to-prepare dish, I immediately asked myself: "why haven't I been making this for years?" I'm always seeking new uses for fresh basil because I simply can't resist its luscious dark green leaves which complement virtually everything in a gourmet deli or upscale farmer's market: nuts, cured meats, cheese, crusty bread, olives and olive oil. Hmmm, I wonder if it would do well planted alongside our bed of jasmine?

Usually, the purchase of fresh basil results in homemade pesto. I have to admit, however, that pine nuts do very little to inspire me. Walnuts, on the other hand, can reduce the damaging effects of fats on blood vessels according to a 2006 study published in the Journal of the American College of Cardiology, can lower LDL cholesterol by 10%, and taste downright gorgeous, especially when roasted.

1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs (enough for 4 people)
4 ounces
organic walnuts
2/3 cup
Parmesan cheese
1/4 teaspoon salt
¾ cup fresh basil leaves

Crushed black pepper to taste
4 tablespoons milk (I used whole milk, but skim or 2% work fine)


If you are using chicken thighs, remove bones. (To learn how to debone chicken thighs, check out my How-To Guide.) Lightly grease a cookie sheet and preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Place the walnuts, Parmesan, salt, basil leaves and black pepper into a food processor and pulse until chopped. Note, you can also blend these ingredients the "old school" way with a good, sharp (preferably large, single blade) mezzaluna. Many a kitchenista has claimed that you can taste the difference hand-chopping makes. I have two kids under age four; I'll wait to find out when they go to school.
Place the milk in a medium bowl, and the chopped mixture in another medium bowl. Dip each thigh in the milk, then roll it about in the mixture. Lay them out on the cookie sheet and bake 30 minutes or until golden and bubbly. Serves 4.

Food Fact! One ounce of walnuts (about 14 shelled walnut halves) is all that is needed to meet the 2002 dietary recommendation of the Food Nutrition Board of the National Academies’ Institute of Medicine for omega-3 fatty acids.


No comments: