Thursday, November 13, 2008

Roasted Edamame Salad

I know there are parts of this country hidden below a thick layer of powdery, white snow. I know there are men and women in quaint little towns defrosting windows, picking icy door locks and driving in toasty gloves until the car interior warms sufficiently. Aah, envy is my name. Here in Southern California, it's balmy and warm, day after day. It's mid-November for the love of Pete! When will a chill blow our way? I put on long pants and sweaters every morning, hoping that the early chill will last past 9 a.m. It doesn't.

So, to bridge my desire for snowy pines in the L.L. Bean catalog, with my reality of the same 75 degrees under the same cloud-free sky, day after day after day after day... I've decided to roast my salad. Delicious! Thank you to my husband for the idea and Alton Brown for the inspiration. (Yes, I count my blessings for living in such a beautiful place. I chose it, and continue to choose it. Variety is, however, the spice of life. And I'm Canadian, that should say enough.)

12 ounces shelled edamame, steamed
1/2 cup corn kernels
1/4 cup scallion, finely diced
1 cup sweet red pepper, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon dried basil
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Place all ingredients into a 13 by 9 metal pan and stir to combine. Place on the middle rack of the oven and roast for 10 to 15 minutes, just until the edamame begins to brown. Remove from the oven and place in the refrigerator until completely cool, approximately 30 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning, as desired. Serve chilled or at room temperature. Serves 4.

Food Fact! Edamame is just a fancy name for boiled green soybeans in salt water. In East Asia, the soybean has been used for over two thousand years as a major source of protein. Edamame offers a whopping 9 grams in a half-cup serving, about the same amount you'll find in 4 slices of whole-wheat bread or 4 cups of steamed zucchini!
Edamame beans also contain omega-3 fatty acids, and are an excellent source of vitamin A, vitamin B and calcium.

No comments: